Harry George Thomas Perry (1889-1959) of Whitwick, Leicestershire, England arrived in Prince George in 1912, quickly becoming a successful businessman; he established Perry’s Shoe Store, a real estate and insurance business, and was owner and editor of several regional newspapers, including the Fort George Tribune, the Prince George Citizen and the Prince Rupert Daily News. Perry also participated in civic life in Prince George; he was elected as School Trustee, was director for the Prince George Theatre Ltd., served as Chairman of the Joint Committee for the Incorporation of Prince George and was President of the Board of Trade, before becoming Mayor of Prince George (1917-1918; 1920). Perry founded the local faction of the Liberal Party, serving as its first President of the Fort George District & PG Local Liberal Associations (1912-1959). After eight years contributing to the economic, artistic and political infrastructure of Northern BC, H.G.T. Perry (a.k.a. the “golden tongue orator”) pursued a long and successful career in Provincial Politics, including positions as Speaker of the BC Legislature (Fort George, 1920-1928; 1933-1945), Provincial Minister of Education (1941-1945), and Chairman of the BC government’s Post-War Rehabilitation Council, established in 1942, the first Council of its kind in Canada.
Businessman, Politician, Advocate, Artistic Director and Orator – H.G.T. Perry was a man of many talents!
The H.G.T. Perry fonds at the Northern BC Archives, Accession No. 2002.7