Fort Fraser: "The Eden of the North" was first established in the early 1800s as “Fraser Lake Post’” a trading post of the Hudson Bay Company, and in 1824 was designated a “Fort” to meet the operational needs of the HBC. In 1865, Fort Fraser received the Collins Overland Telegraph, and in 1914 the last spike of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway was driven in at Fort Fraser. With the influx of such amenities and the economic need to bring settlers into the interior of BC, the Dominion Stock & Bond Corporation Ltd. acted upon opportunity and took on the commercialization of a new Fort Fraser town site, located 3.5km east of the original Fort. In its’ advertisements the Dominion Stock & Bond Corporation Ltd. urged potential buyers and settlers with 5 and 10 acre garden tracts of land. It is speculated that the 86 black & white photographs within the photograph album were commissioned by the Dominion Stock & Bond Corporation Ltd. to illustrate their prediction that Fort Fraser would become “the Hub of British Columbia on the Grand Trunk Pacific.” This collection consists of 86 photographs. (1914)
- Prentiss Gray Collection: 300+ photographs (1926-1932)
- Phipps-Mackenzie Photograph Collection: 398 photographs; 6.2 cm textual and other materials (1920-1990)
- Fort Fraser Photograph Collection: 86 photographs (1914)
- Knox McCusker Collection: 10 cm of textual and photographic material (1909-1997)
- Parker Bonney Photograph Collection: 599 photographs (ca.1913-1945)
- Reverend R.W. Large fonds: 165 photographs (ca.1900-1960)
- Bullion Mines Collection: 15 cm of textual records (1894-1925)
- B.C. Trappers Association fonds: 3 m textual records (1970-2003)
- Harvey Deloss Scott fonds: 340 photographs and textual material (ca.1930)
For more information on these fonds or collections, please contact the Archives directly.
Archival research by appointment only.