Educational Use

Bill C-11, the Copyright Modernization Act, included some significantly expanded educational exceptions, including an exception dealing with showing videos for educational or training purposes.  The Copyright Act now allows an educational institution, or person acting under its authority, for education or training purposes on its premises can perform a film or other cinematographic work in the classroom, as long as such work is not an infringing copy and was legally obtained, or the person responsible for the performance has no reasonable grounds to believe that it is an infringing copy.

Entertainment Use

Non-educational use is now covered by the agreement as the Library has opted into the “Entertainment Use Rights” license with Audio Cine and Criterion.  The Entertainment Use license allows broader use rights outside the classroom.  For example, the showing of videos by student unions for social events is now covered.

Please note the following limitations on the Entertainment Use Rights license:

  • The film must be covered by the Audio Cine or Criterion licenses.  Each licensing company’s website has a search engine which allows you to search for individual films by name.
  • The event must be free – no cost or cover charge.  Showing films at charity fund-raisers is allowed, but only when the cost is purely by donation.
  • The license covers only films that have been released for rental and home purchases; films still in theatrical release are not covered.
  • The primary audience of the event must be members of the institution.  Event advertising must be limited to media targeted at the University and its students and staff.  In the case of print advertising, the advertisements may only appear in campus media (e.g. a student newspaper) and not in general community newspapers.
  • For more information, visit

Videos in the Library Collection

To ensure that you have the video you want on the show date, it is best to make arrangements with Circulation Staff well in advance.

Videos Through Interlibrary Loan

Videos must be borrowed for a specific show date, which must be stated when filling out the request form.